Please email email@example.com for more information.
Yes, you can earn community service credit for many of our Handmade with Love activities for onsite volunteerism. Please refer to our Community Service FAQs page for specific details about our Handmade With Love programs.
Please understand that our normal turnaround time for community service forms can be 2–4 weeks due to transit time. Turnaround time during November and December can be delayed by 4–6 weeks due to the large volume of inbound donations.
You must live in the Southern California area to be a letter screener. You will be required to pick up and return the boxes of letters to be screened to our facility in Chatsworth, CA. To schedule an on-site training session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteering at the FOB FAQs
Visit our “Volunteer at the FOB” page. Volunteers must PRE-register to volunteer in person.
We have tasks appropriate for all levels of ability. Tasks will be assigned based on production needs which may include quality controlling Battalion Buddies, quality controlling and/or bagging Paracord Bracelets, assembling Recruit Graduate Medallion Packets, assembling handwritten letters and blank greeting card packets.
Yes, PRE-Registration is REQUIRED to participate at off-site and on-site events, including during the week at “The FOB”. Parents/guardians must register for minors under 18.
We are starting with weekday shifts; currently we have two hour shifts available. We ask that you arrive no earlier than 15 minutes before your shift to allow us to set up, clean/sanitize the area and to check everyone in.
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday 2:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m.
We will re-evaluate every six weeks and will update shifts accordingly.
Volunteers ages 13 and older are welcome to serve at “The FOB”. Youth who are 13–17 years of age must have a responsible adult with them on the premises at all times, with access to transportation. Due to insurance, liability and safety concerns, we must strictly adhere to these rules—there are no exceptions.
Volunteers younger than 13 years can write letters to our heroes and/or use our printable coloring sheets.
Yes! We hold monthly large-scale Assembly Days at “The FOB” in Chatsworth, CA accommodate groups on a mutually convenient weekday with advanced notice and planning.
Groups consisting of youth between 13 and 17 years old are required to provide a minimum of one adult for every eight youth. If transportation is by individual cars, rather than buses, then we require enough drivers and cars on the premises at all times to provide immediate transportation for all.
VOLUNTEER RULES &INFORMATION
To ensure your own safety and enjoyment, and to preserve our welcome in our facility, we ask that you read and follow these rules:
All Volunteers must complete a Release Form by registering online to volunteer (parents/guardians must register minors under 18). Children ages 13 and older are welcome to serve. Those ages 13–17 must have a responsible adult with them on the premises at all times, with access to transportation. Due to insurance, liability and safety concerns, we must strictly adhere to these rules—there are no exceptions.
- All volunteers must complete the online registration for each volunteer day attended.
- Volunteers must check in with Operation Gratitude’s Engagement Team upon their arrival.
- Due to heightened security requirements, all volunteers must present a government or school issued I.D. with a photo when requested.
- Wear the name tag provided at check-in at all times.
- To receive Community Service Credit (“CSC”), you must sign-in upon arrival and sign out upon departure at the Volunteer Sign-In Table.
- Wear closed-toe shoes; no sandals or flip-flops allowed.
- Wear comfortable but respectful clothing (no “short-shorts” or revealing tops); avoid political statements on clothing.
- Lock your purse or other valuables in your car. We do not have a safe place for them and will not accept responsibility for personal property in or around “The FOB”.
- No bags, backpacks or briefcases allowed in “The FOB”. Please keep cell phones and wallets in your pockets.
- Cell phones are permitted, but we ask that you not make calls while volunteering. You are welcome to take pictures for personal or social media use. However, you may not photograph or video the labels on care packages or addresses in letters.
No food or drinks are allowed in the warehouse at any time. If you wish to bring your own food or drinks, we recommend leaving them in your car while you volunteer as there is no place to leave them on-site. Water stations are available throughout our facility in designated areas.
At The FOB, our leader Volunteers (“Blue Shirts”) will be wearing royal blue t-shirts. Follow their instructions.
Park in our parking lot, on surrounding streets. The speed limit in our parking lot is 10 miles per hour. In congested areas, the limit is as slow as safety permits, even if that means a complete stop for an extended time.
Each venue will have their own parking available to volunteers. Please be sure to read our information emails leading up to the event.
- Monday, July 4 – Independence Day
- Monday, Sept. 5 – Labor Day
- Friday, Nov. 11 – Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day – Nov. 24–25
- Friday, Dec. 23 – Christmas Eve (observed)
- Monday, Dec. 26 – Christmas Day (observed)
- Friday, Dec. 30 – New Year’s Eve (observed)
- Monday, Jan. 2 – New Year’s Day (observed)
- The FOB will be closed from Saturday, December 24, 2022, through Monday, January 2, 2023. The FOB will reopen on Tuesday, January 3, 2023.