Join Our Movement to Thank Every First Responder
All Operation Gratitude First Responder Care Pouch shipments include a bundle of letters from the American people, thanking them for their service to our country. First Responders tell us these letters, notes, and drawings are the most cherished items that they receive!
We recently had several nice ladies come out to our department with Care Pouches. It really meant a lot to us and the goodies inside were very much appreciated. Your organization is doing a wonderful thing!”
— Fire Lieutenant J.O., October 10, 2018
HOW TO WRITE A LETTER
- Start with a generic salutation, such as “Dear Hero” or “Dear Brave One.”
- Express your thanks for their selfless service.
Thank them for serving their community, not necessarily your own. Remember that these letters will be sent to First Responders in many different communities nationwide!
- Avoid politics completely and religion in excess; however, saying you will pray for them is wonderful.
- Share a little about yourself: Family, Hobbies, Work, School, Pets, Travel, etc.
- Talk about life and interests: Sports, Weather, Music, Movies, Food, Books, etc.
- Adults: Include your contact information (mail or email) so the letter recipient can reply. (Recipients may or may not write back; please do not be disappointed if you do not receive a response.)
- Children’s Letters: Include first names only and do not include addresses (an adult’s address can be used).
- Can’t find the words? Consider drawing or painting a picture instead; please add a note to kids’ drawings with their age.
- No glitter or confetti please!
- Please DO NOT put cards or letters in individual envelopes; all letters must go through an internal screening process and the envelopes slow that process down significantly.
- Please don’t date your letters, sometimes it can take up to a few months for our Care Pouches to be received after they are sent.
SHIP YOUR LETTERS TO US
- Fill out our Donor Form and print a copy for each box that you send.
COMPLETE DONATION FORM
- Put all loose artwork and letters/cards (no individual envelopes) in a large envelope or box according to their recipient type, and ship to:
ATTN: First Responder Letters
21100 Lassen Street
Chatsworth, CA 91311-4278
I am a patrol officer with the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office in Jacksonville, Florida. I am also a Marine combat veteran. I wanted to say thank you so much to your great organization for sending us thousands of Care Pouches that our FOP lodge handed out. The items are useful (and delicious). As a combat veteran it was always a nice surprise to get a care package while we were overseas and this care package, now that I’m a policeman, brought back the same appreciated feeling. This can definitely be a thankless job at times, and your survival bag reminded me that there are plenty of people that still love and support us.”
— Officer A.E., October 14, 2018