Throughout the year, our Southern California facility: “The FOB” (Forward Operating Base), is filled with millions of items donated by Americans from across the country. Once a month or more, we call on hundreds of eager and spirited Volunteers to assemble these items into Operation Gratitude Care Packages. Join us at The FOB!
ASSEMBLY DAY DETAILS
TYPE OF WORK
We have tasks appropriate for all levels of ability.
“Prep” work consists of sorting donated items, folding shirts, writing/screening letters, quality controlling Battalion Buddies, and/or preparing products and the Assembly Line.
“Assembly” work includes production of the Care Packages, labeling, taping, running packages, re-stocking the lines, breaking down cartons, and other tasks.
“Production” work includes hand-making items onsite. Time allowing, we will provide instruction and materials for making Paracord ‘Survival’ Bracelets and/or Battalion Buddies on-site.
Scroll down for more Volunteer Information.
WEEKDAYS & WEEKENDS
We can accommodate groups at The FOB in Chatsworth, CA on a mutually convenient weekday with advanced notice and planning.
DONATED ITEM DELIVERY
Donation drop offs and product deliveries are accepted during all Volunteer Hours:
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
DURING WEEKDAYS: Park in the parking lot and bring your items inside The FOB to the check-in tables on the left.
DURING ASSEMBLY DAYS: Please bring your donations to the Donation Sorting Area to the far right inside our building when you enter The FOB.
LARGE DONATIONS: Park at the rear of the building for assistance with unloading. Forklifts, pallet jacks, and loading docks are available to assist with donations of any size.
SHIP YOUR ITEMS
Carefully pack your items and send to:
21100 Lassen Street
Chatsworth, CA 91311-4278
Volunteer at The FOB any day, any time of the year. These are the observed holidays on which The FOB will be closed in 2017:
Friday, April 14th
Monday, May 29th
Monday, July 3rd
Independence Day (observed)
Tuesday, July 4th
Monday, September 4th
Thursday, November 23rd
Friday, November 24th
Monday, December 25th
Monday, January 1, 2018
New Year’s Day
The FOB will also be closed to Volunteers from Tuesday, December 26, 2017 through Monday January 1, 2018. The FOB will reopen to Volunteers on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
VOLUNTEER RULES AND INFORMATION
To ensure your own safety and enjoyment, and to preserve our welcoming environment in our facility, we ask that you read and follow these rules:
SIGN IN AND RELEASE FORM
All Volunteers must sign a Release Form (parents/guardians must sign for minors under 18). Children ages 12 and older are welcome to serve; those ages 12-16 must have a responsible adult with transportation on the premises at all times. Due to insurance, liability, and safety concerns, we must strictly adhere to these rules—there are no exceptions.
- All Volunteers must fill out a release form (either online or in-person) for each Assembly Day attended.
- Volunteers must sign in at the Volunteer Tables in the parking lot or inside The FOB.
- Due to heightened security requirements, all Volunteers must present a government or school issued I.D. with photo when requested.
- Wear the name tag provided at check-in at all times.
- To receive Community Service Credit (“CSC”), you must sign-in upon arrival and sign out upon departure at the Volunteer Sign-In Table.
We have seated and standing jobs for everyone on all Volunteer and Assembly Days.
CLOTHING AND ACCESSORIES
- Wear closed-toe shoes; no sandals or flip-flops allowed.
- Wear comfortable but respectful clothing (No “short-shorts” or revealing tops); avoid political statements on clothing.
- Lock purse or other valuables in your car. We do not have a safe place for them and will not accept responsibility for personal property in or around The FOB.
- No bags, backpacks, or briefcases allowed in The FOB. Please keep cell phones and wallet in your pockets.
- Cell phones are permitted, but we ask that you not make calls while volunteering. You are welcome to take pictures for personal or social media use. However, you may not photograph or video the labels on Care Packages or addresses in letters.
FOOD AND DRINKS
Water stations are available throughout our facility.
No food or drinks are allowed in the warehouse at any time. If you wish to bring your own food or drinks, we recommend leaving them in your car while you volunteer as there is no place to leave them on-site.
At The FOB, our leader Volunteers (“Blue Shirts”) will be wearing royal blue t-shirts. Follow their instructions.
Park in our parking lot, on surrounding streets, or as suggested by our information emails or parking attendants. The speed limit in our parking lot is 10 miles per hour. In congested areas, the limit is as slow as safety permits, even if that means a complete stop for an extended time.