director of VOLUNTEER & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
Director of Volunteer & Community Engagement
Los Angeles (Chatsworth), CA
WHO WE ARE
With a two-fold mission to lift the spirits of the Military and First Responder communities; and to provide “hands-on” volunteer opportunities for Americans everywhere to express their appreciation to all who serve, Operation Gratitude is uniquely positioned to help bridge the civilian-military, and the broader civilian-service, divide. Our goal is to become the preeminent organization in the nation for Military and First Responder Support and Volunteerism. Since the organization’s founding in 2003, Operation Gratitude has mobilized 350,000+ volunteers and donors nationally to distribute more than 2 Million Care Packages.
Through the expansion of our distribution networks, establishment of national partnerships, and the growth of volunteer activities over the next 3-5 years, Operation Gratitude will look to double the number of customized Care Packages it sends annually to individually named U.S. service members deployed overseas and to their families waiting at home, to Veterans, First Responders, New Recruits, Gold Star families, Wounded Heroes, and their Care Givers. For details about specific care package and volunteer programs, please visit www.operationgratitude.com.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Volunteer & Community Engagement will provide inspiration and opportunity to the more than 350,000 Operation Gratitude supporters and volunteers nationwide who seek to thank all who serve our nation, and who enable the organization to fulfill its mission of lifting the spirits of the MIlitary and First Responder communities. The Director of Volunteer & Community Engagement will promote volunteerism on a variety of public platforms in order to grow the volunteer base, and will collaborate with the senior leadership team to develop new channels of volunteerism for individuals, groups and corporate partners.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Volunteer Outreach and Management
- Develop and carry out volunteer recruitment, screening, application, selection and orientation/training processes for volunteers locally at Operation Gratitude Headquarters in Chatsworth, CA (“The FOB”) and nationally through corporate and community partners Survey staff regularly to assess and identify needs for volunteer assistance and recommend the most efficient use of volunteers.
- Outline roles and responsibilities of volunteers and maintain volunteer service descriptions for each volunteer assignment.
- Develop and manage volunteer policies, procedures and standards of volunteer service
- Coach and motivate volunteers in accordance with organizational policies, increasing their understanding of the organization; its mission and services
- Work with volunteers individually and in small groups. Assess experience, skill level and limitations of volunteers to successfully engage them in meaningful service
- Independently orchestrate and carry out volunteer activities and events, providing supervision and training of volunteers including individuals and corporate partners, small and large groups, covering a wide range of ages and abilities
- Develop various services to be provided by volunteers and appropriately match organizational needs with volunteer interests and capabilities
- Conduct monthly Volunteer Orientations in-person and online, and develop volunteer training tools and curriculum as needed
- Act as liaison between Operation Gratitude and the community, including but not limited to:
- Speak to community and corporate groups to present information on the organization’s history, needs and volunteer opportunities
- Ensure program staff are prepared for arrival of volunteers and all necessary tools, resources and materials are readily available
- Ensure volunteers understand details and expectations of their service
- Oversee that volunteer check-in procedures are followed and records of volunteer hours are maintained.
- Plan and oversee volunteer events from visioning stage to execution, taking into consideration budget and staff availability. In partnership with the Communications team, implement communications strategies that facilitate increased community awareness and engagement for the organization.
- Create and maintain a system for scheduling, reminding, providing timely information for, and tracking volunteers. Ensure the complete and timely collection of volunteer information for submission to database
- Cultivate relationships with corporate employee engagement representatives, schools, churches, non-profit groups, and individuals with a goal of moving relationships toward recurring volunteerism
- Support, recognize and retain volunteers by developing and implementing volunteer appreciation strategies, including thank you letters, social media, volunteer highlights in newsletter and other communications, and other retention and appreciation efforts. Design and implement a strategic volunteer recognition program with both formal and informal recognition activities.
- Research and propose ongoing improvements to volunteer services and program
- Research and identify local community outreach opportunities such as fairs, church events, etc. and national outreach opportunities such as Corporate Social Responsibility conferences and either attend in person as a spokesperson for Operation Gratitude or assign an appropriate representative to do so
- Increase opportunities for strategic volunteer engagement throughout the organization through the use of Fellowships, Internships, and related programs.
- Work with the CEO to develop a strategy for nationwide recruitment, retention, and volunteer management operations in multiple emerging locations.
- Work with the Leadership Team to develop and implement systems and strategies to improve efficiency of the volunteer program communications between volunteers and program staff and the overall volunteer experience
- Respond to (or send to the appropriate Staff member to handle) complaints, suggestions or concerns of volunteers and/or their family members or sponsoring organization/company, to maintain the integrity and reputation of Operation Gratitude’s Volunteer program.
Program Development And Donations Management
- Provide oversight, direction and evaluation for individual and community based Collection Drives, the Letter Writing Program and the Handmade With Love Program (collectively referred to as “Hands-On Activities”). Manage how these in-kind needs and Hands-On Activity opportunities are communicated to the Operation Gratitude community at large by collaborating with the Communications team.
- Create new, and improve upon existing, Hands-On Activities program opportunities for volunteer and in-kind donor engagement
- Prioritize needs and opportunities that maximize both volunteer experience and the number and usefulness of items received
- Create consistent and scalable volunteer and corporate engagement opportunities both onsite and offsite
- Provide daily management and oversight, as well as team-based leadership, for the Volunteer and Item Donations programs and staff
- Assess needs across the organization for volunteer created and/or collected donation items. Maintain consistent feedback loops and positive working relationships with all staff, and monitor/solicit feedback from care package recipients for ideas
- Research, outreach, and cultivate relationships with individual and corporate donors and community agencies, for the strategic solicitation of Hands-On Activities items
- Be the primary relationship manager for these donors. If appropriate, collaborate with members of the Development Team to transition in-kind contributors to financial contributors
- Exercise discretion regarding acceptance and/or disposition of Hands-On Activities items and maintain donor relationships (e.g. customer service) even when declining these donations
- Ensure all donor data relating to receipt of Hands-on Activities donations is captured, recorded and tracked.
- Research and propose ongoing improvements and best practices in donations management.
- Run and assess monthly reports on Hands-On Activities donations and make recommendations to increase the quantity and quality of these donations for inclusion in Operation Gratitude Care Packages
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years experience in program coordination / management in the non-profit arena, preferably with volunteer services or fundraising.
- The ideal candidate has expertise and maintains ongoing learning in volunteer management, service enterprise, corporate social responsibility, nonprofit program development, community resources, grassroots/community-based fundraising, and other relevant fields.
- Demonstrates progressive management and leadership positions.
- Passionately embraces the mission and values of Operation Gratitude and conveys sincere compassion for, and understanding of, the Military and First Responder communities
- Appreciates the spirit of volunteerism, and understands the critical role that volunteers play in the organization
- A “roll up your sleeves” attitude and a joyful willingness to step in to do whatever needs to be done at any given time.
- Excellent interpersonal relationships and confident public speaking skills
- Inspirational, engaging and energetic; a pleasant motivator and a happy warrior
- Highly organized, self-motivated and able to effect change
- Demonstrated leader in creating positive experiences in customer service with a diverse range of clientele, volunteers, and donors.
- Strong management skills including planning, coordination and supervision
- Ability to multi-task in the execution of simultaneous activities and events
- Sound decision-making capability
- Effective at oversight of large group activities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluency in Spanish (Written and verbal)
- Experience with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Suite, SalesForce
- Service in, or affiliation with, the Military/First Responder communities
Operation Gratitude is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about Operation Gratitude, please visit www.operationgratitude.com
HOW TO APPLY
Apply on LinkedIn at: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/568168714/
Please note that telephone calls will not be accepted.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience. Full benefits, including medical, dental and vision, 401k and life insurance, are available
PROFESSIONAL LEVEL: Managerial/Exempt