Send Your LOVE and THANKS to the Troops!
posted on Oct 18 2011 2 Comments
On October 15, with the help of hundreds of enthusiastic volunteers, we assembled and shipped the 700,000th individually-addressed Operation Gratitude care package! Such an exciting day — but there wasn’t time for us to celebrate for long, because we still have another 50,000 care packages to go before the 2011 Holiday Drive ends on December 17.
Yes — you read that right: Another 50,000 care packages to go!
What can you do to help? If you knit or crochet, we’d really appreciate it if you would use your time and talent to make some scarves or hats to keep the troops warm in the coming cold winter months. (Yes, it gets cold — and even snows! — in Afghanistan and other places where our military personnel are serving!) Please find more information here: Scarves for Troops Project. And you can also find important Donation and Shipping Information here on our blog, too!
Not everyone knows how to knit or crochet, but we’re counting on all of you to pitch in with letters of thanks! We try to include at least three or four cards and letters in each care package, so if you do the math — we need another 150,000 – 200,000 more letters for the next 50,000 care packages we will assemble and ship this year. We hope you will help out and write to the troops using these important guidelines:
- No stamps or envelopes are needed. Please avoid glitter.
- Sample salutations include: Dear Service Member, Dear American Hero, Dear Brave One — generic, instead of “Dear Soldier” or “Dear Sailor” because your letter may end up going to a Marine or an Airman!
- Avoid politics and religion; keep the message upbeat and positive.
- Talk about yourself; ask questions (not about death/dying); express thanks.
- Please include your own contact information (mail or email) so recipients can choose to reply.
- STUDENTS: Use FIRST Names Only; Adults and Schools may include full name, address and email.
- Handwritten or hand-signed letters or cards are most appreciated. Drawings from kids too young to write are great too!
- All letters will be screened by Operation Gratitude; do not seal if placing in an individual envelope.
- Write as many letters as you can – they will be distributed throughout different Military locations.
- If you do not receive a reply, please be understanding – remember they are in danger and very busy!
Please bundle them together and send your cards and letters to:
17330 Victory Boulevard
Van Nuys, CA 91406
Attn: Letter Writing Program
Want to deliver your letters to us in person? Wonderful! We accept item and letter donations at the armory ONLY during our Volunteer Hours of Operation.
Please check our website for more information and details.
As always, we THANK YOU for your support!